Featured Wine Deal
Marchesi di Barolo Servaj Dolcetto delle Langhe Piedmont 2012
Savings of $17
FREE SHIPPING ON 4 OR MORE
**Now Any Order that has a Combination of 4 Bottles, Featured or Past, Will Receive Free Shipping!!**
**Best Price Online**
(winesearcher pro version)
Servaj is bright ruby-red in color with violet notes and distinctive maraschino cherry aromas. This fresh, medium bodied wine with a velvety feel on the palate is excellent on its own due to the low acidity. “Servaj” (pronounced: Ser-vai) is Piedmontese dialect, for both “wild” and “creative”, a name chosen for this new and young wine from Marchesi di Barolo.
Dolcetto is one of the most characteristic grapes of Piedmont, a region famed world-wide for top-quality red-wine production. The name means “little sweet one”, due to the grape’s low acidity, relative to other red grapes from the region,Nebbiolo and Barbera.
Pairs well with cured and light meats and pasta with tomato-based sauces.
The Marchesi di Barolo Estate encompasses approximately 110ha of vineyards in the Langhe, some of the finest in Piedmont. The cellars are located in the village of Barolo, overlooking the magnificent village landmark, the Renaissance castle of the Marchesi Falletti di Barolo.
Vineyards were established here in the early 19th Century by the Marchese Carlo Tancredi Falletti di Barolo and his wife, Giulia. The wine from their estate soon became known as “the wine from Barolo”, served at important diplomatic and royal functions. The Marchesi had no children and following the deaths of Carlo in 1838 and Giulia in 1864, the Marchesi di Barolo dynasty was left without an heir. Under the wish of the Marchesa Giulia, a great philanthropist, the family assets were donated to charity and a non-profit foundation was created in their name, “Opera Pia Barolo”, helping the most needy of nearby Torino. Wine from their Barolo vineyards continued to be made and its sales funded the charity, which still exists today.
During this time, Emilio Pietro Abbona was born in Barolo. Pietro began working for his family’s estate “Cavalier Felice Abbona & Figli” which owned vineyards in Canubbi and made wines that already garnered international acclaim at World Fairs. Thanks to his hard work, tenacity and skill Pietro eventually acquired the cellars of Marchesi di Barolo in 1929, keeping alive a winemaking tradition that was faltering as the Opera Pia began focusing elsewhere. Pietro Abbona continued acquiring parcels of the Marchesi Estate thereafter including the La Volta Castle, incorporating them into his family’s holdings, and bottling under the Marchesi di Barolo name. Pietro Abbona would come to be considered the “undisputed patriarch of Barolo” (Massimo Martinelli, Barolo As I Know It) for his dedication as a winemaker and in making the wine of his region known throughout the world.
Today Marchesi di Barolo remains a family business. Since 2006, the estate has been under the direction of Pietro’s great-grandson and 5th generation winemaker, Ernesto Abbona and his wife Anna, who have inherited a longstanding winemaking tradition and a love of the vineyards and its wines. Flavio Fenocchio is the estate’s Technical Director and Dino Bevione manages the viticulture.
Marchesi di Barolo is focused on the vinification of Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto, Arneis and Cortese – the most prestigious grapes of the Langhe. The Abbona family controls a total of 110ha of vineyards. Fourty-five hectares are estate-owned with 25 hectares in the commune of Barolo (including 4.5ha Cannubi, 6.5ha Sarmassa, 2.5ha Coste di Rose all planted to Nebbiolo for Barolo DOCG production and 2ha in Paiagallo and 1ha in Ravera both planted to Barbera for Barbera d'Alba DOC production) and 20 hectares throughout other communes in Barolo, Barbaresco (Serragrilli) and Roero. The balance is farmed by family and friends they’ve known for over thirty years.
Marchesi di Barolo’s historic cellar stores a library of over 40,000 bottles of Barolo, with vintages dating back to 1859. The Abbona family recently re-furbished five original barrels from the 19th century used for the production of the first Barolos, also located in the Estate cellar.